When we suffer from bad body odor is due to excessive perspiration caused by the sweat glands, but especially to bacteria that usually flourish when the body does not contain enough oxygen and that result in the emission of a smell quite unpleasant. When this condition is permanent, it can also be a sign of a more serious health problem, so in this case, it would be essential to consult an expert doctor.
In this article of ututilis, we show you the most effective home remedies for the bad body odor that exist, they will help you to neutralize the bad smell and to feel comfortable and safe throughout the day.
Why I have bad body odor – causes
The bad body odor, called medically as bromhidrosis, is a condition that can affect both men and women of all ages, although it is a problem that is observed more often in men after puberty.
To understand the causes of bad body odor, first of all, it is necessary to clarify why there are people who give off an unpleasant body odor. Our sweat is odorless and is produced by the sweat glands of the skin, of which we can distinguish two types:
- Eccrine glands: they are distributed throughout the surface of the skin and the sweat they produce consists of 99% water and 1% mineral salts. These have as their main function to regulate the temperature of the body.
- Apocrine glands: are found only in areas of the body such as the armpits, the genitals, around the nipples and the anus. The sweat they produce is more oily, but it is devoid of odor.
As we see, the sweat produced by both the eccrine glands and the apocrine glands is odorless, however, the problem of bad odor appears when the bacteria present in the skin digest the fatty secretions of the apocrine glands and these are converted into volatile acids, which have a strong, intense and unpleasant smell.
Some of the factors that may be behind the appearance of body odor are those listed below:
- Genetic factors: it has been pointed out that there are people who have a greater number of apocrine glands or that these are of a larger size.
- Type and amount of bacteria present on the surface of the skin.
- Bad hygiene habits.
- Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis.
- Excessive consumption of certain foods, such as garlic, onion, pepper, curry, etc. In the following article, you can see in detail what foods cause bad body odor.
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Cutaneous infections
How to remove the bad smell of the body with home remedies
Next, we show you which are the most effective home remedies to eliminate body odor naturally. Try them and do not forget to combine their use with good personal hygiene habits to be able to combat this problem.
Natural mint and rosemary deodorant
Both mint and rosemary stand out for their powerful aromatic and antibacterial properties, and together they are a great home remedy for bad body odor.
- Make a natural deodorant by boiling 5 mint leaves with 5 leaves of rosemary for 15 minutes.
- Strain the resulting liquid and let it cool.
- Apply it with a cotton ball on your skin after showering. The pleasant aroma that will leave in your body will enchant you.
Black tea bath
Another great natural product to remove the bad smell of the body is black tea. This is due to its content in tannins that favor the deep cleaning of the skin and reduce the formation and accumulation of sweat.
- Place 4 bags of black tea in 2 liters of hot water.
- Cover and let cool.
- Add the black tea preparation in the bath water and remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.
This plant contains what are called thermoregulatory and bactericidal properties, which is why it is excellent as a natural method to stop excessive sweating. Here is how to eliminate the bad smell of the body with salvia:
- Prepare an infusion of sage, boiling about 5 leaves of sage in a cup of water for about 15 minutes.
- Then, remove from heat and let cool a little.
- You can take an infusion of sage a day to get good results.
We also highlight the essential lavender oil as an excellent home remedy for body odor. It is very appreciated in aromatherapy and, in addition, it provides great benefits for the skin and the well-being both corporal and mental.
- Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil to half a liter of water, which you must have boiled before.
- Keep the liquid in a closed bottle.
- After about 10 days, you can use it and spray it on the skin of those areas where the malodor concentrates to a greater extent.
The sodium bicarbonate can act as an excellent natural deodorant, allowing fight bacteria that generate bad odor and absorbs those more unpleasant odors. To use it as a home remedy to remove the bad smell of the body, you should only do the following:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of baby powder.
- Apply the resulting mixture, for example, on the skin of the armpits.
- Let it dry and then you will notice how the bad smell is neutralized.
Another of the home remedies for bad body odor that works best is apple cider vinegar. This product helps fight both bacteria and fungi that can accumulate on the skin and cause the unpleasant odor, in addition to helping to balance the natural pH of the skin.
- Dilute 5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a bowl of water.
- Submerge the feet in the mixture or with the help of a gauze, apply it in the armpits.
- Leave on for 10 or 15 minutes.
We can also eliminate the bad smell of the body with the help of aloe vera. This plant so beneficial to health can act as a good natural deodorant and fight effectively against the bacteria present on the surface of the skin. In addition, it protects the skin and moisturizes it. In fact, there are many commercial deodorants that contain aloe vera as the main ingredient.
- Apply some pure aloe vera gel to the area to be treated.
- Let the aloe dry on its own.
- Repeat the treatment several times a day to obtain better results.
Natural deodorant of bicarbonate and lemon
If the problem of bad body odor, is located in the underarm area, you can prepare the following homemade deodorant with baking soda and lemon:
- In a saucepan, add 100 ml of water and bring to a boil.
- When it boils, add 4 tablespoons of rosemary leaves.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- After that time, add 3 tablespoons of baking soda and stir.
- Add 5 or 6 drops of lemon essential oil and stir again.
- Store the obtained mixture in a dark glass jar and ready to use!
Other tips and solutions to eliminate body odor naturally
Now that you know how to remove the bad smell of the body, it is important that also in your day to day you have in mind recommendations such as the following to prevent the problem from getting worse:
- Maintain good daily personal hygiene making use of antiseptic soaps.
- Change clothes daily and wash clothes properly.
- Store clothes in a cool, dry place free of moisture.
- The hair removal axillary or genital hair can help prevent the accumulation of sweat and bacterial proliferation.
- Take care of the diet and avoid consuming excess foods that influence the bad body odor such as garlic, onion, spicy, etc.
- In the case of hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating, antiperspirants help to inhibit the production of sweat and reduce the humidity of the affected area.
- In case the bad body odor does not disappear, it is important to consult with a professional dermatologist to indicate the exact causes of the problem and the medical treatment you should follow.