Home remedies such as apple cider vinegar, ginger, ice or essential oils can help us heal a calcaneal spur naturally without having to resort to surgery, although this will depend on the severity of the case and the medical indications. A spur is a calcification in the heel that usually causes intense pain to those who suffer it. The most common causes of the appearance of spurs are the bad postures of the foot, as well as the use of inadequate footwear. This bone problem is usually accompanied by plantar fasciitis, which is what generates pain, especially when walking, and it is necessary to visit a doctor to treat the spur. Even so, to try to reduce the pain, in this article, we will explain how to cure a spur with home remedies.
Causes of spurs
Now that you know some natural remedies to cure a spur we will see why this condition appears. Knowing the causes will help us to prevent bad habits that damage our bodily health. Here are the main causes of spurs that tend to be more frequent:
- Overweight: when people are overweight, they overload the pressure in the heel area and, therefore, may be one of the causes of spurs. An area of the body as small as the heel has to support an excess of weight and, therefore, is more susceptible to suffer conditions like this.
- Do not tread well when walking: there are people who walk on their side or who do not support the whole foot when they walk and, therefore, the pressure and weight of the body are centered on a specific area of the plant instead of dividing it evenly. Therefore, it is important to wear appropriate footwear or the use of templates that correct this malpractice at the time of walking.
- Have a flat foot.
- Spend a lot of time standing or walking excessively
- Do high-intensity sports.
- Use inappropriate shoes
People at risk of spurs
It is important to keep in mind that the spur is more common in certain types of patients, so certain groups should take maximum care to avoid their formation due to sports.
Therefore, it is necessary that before a physical activity you visit a podiatrist to receive instructions if you suffer from:
- Pie dig.
- You are a supinator or pronator.
- Overweight accounts.
- You have an injury to the Achilles heel or the calf muscles.
Also, do not forget to perform a proper warm-up before any sports practice, this will help you avoid injuries, including the spur.
Templates and splints to cure the spur without surgery
One of the most common treatments for spurs is the use of orthopedic insoles, which will help reduce pain and correct bone calcification. This specific type of spur templates has a softer area in the calcaneus area to cushion the footprint and reduce heel pain.
This is the simplest way to reduce the pain of a spur, since you cushion the pressure when you walk and, therefore, you manage to redistribute the impact better avoiding that all of it falls on the affected area. With the templates, we managed to download the area and, therefore, feel more relief immediately, in addition to allowing us to walk without problems.
Another good option to treat the spurs are the splints at night, with which we will keep the foot extended and especially the whole of the plantar fascia. It is not a recommended treatment at the beginning of the problems in the calcaneus bone, but should always be supervised by a physiotherapist or medical specialist. In this way, we can cure a problem in the foot, during the hours of sleep without hardly realizing it.
Reduce activity and rest
Also, it will be very important that you reduce the activities that suppose an overstrain of the foot and lead to a pressure in the heel and, therefore, in the spur. In this way, it is recommended to avoid the realization that causes a lot of impact on the calcaneus bone or physical activity such as running.
You have to keep in mind that the less you use this area of the body, the quicker the spur will heal and, therefore, the sooner you will recover your health and well-being. For this reason, it is recommended that you reduce physical activity and, in the event that you work on your feet or perform a physical exercise during your working day, try that the weight of your body is distributed on both feet to avoid overloading one of them. Thus, it is recommended that you lower the rhythm of your day to day and that you rest to the maximum.
Apply cold on the heel
When the spur occurs with inflammation and pain, placing some ice on the foot is a good way to get relief and reduce swelling.
- Wrap an ice cube in a cloth and apply it to the spur.
- Let it act for about 10 or 15 minutes.
- You can also place an ice pack directly after doing physical activities or walking a lot. These compresses are created especially for this purpose and you can store them in the refrigerator after use.
Another of the best home remedies for the calcaneal spur is apple cider vinegar. This product attracts calcium, is anti-inflammatory and reduces pain. To use it, do the following:
- Pour some apple cider vinegar into gauze.
- Rub the affected area with the gauze for a few seconds.
- If you prefer, you can also add a stream of apple cider vinegar to a bowl of warm water and dip your feet in the mixture for a few minutes.
As a natural treatment for the spur, ginger also stands out. The reason is that this root has anti-inflammatory properties and decreases discomfort in the foot because it contains gingerols.
- Prepare an infusion of ginger by boiling 1 piece of root in 1 glass of water.
- Strain the preparation.
- When it cools a little, soak gauze in the ginger tea and place it on the affected heel.
- Leave on for about 15 minutes.
Massages with essential oils
Continuing with the objective of curing a spur with home remedies, we must talk about essential anti-inflammatory, analgesic and relaxing oils. They are excellent for massaging the aching heel and get a much more immediate relief.
- The best oils to relieve spurs are arnica, clove, chamomile or rosemary.
- Choose one of these oils and mix it with some vegetable oil, such as olive oil or almond oil.
- Massage the area affected by the spur by applying the oil until you see that it has been completely absorbed.
Exercises to heal the calcaneal spur
Stretching will also help in the treatment of the spur to reduce and try to eliminate pain. There are exercises specifically indicated for these cases that you can practice yourself at home, helping you with everyday items such as rubber balls, towels or leaning on a table, although there are specific balls for this type of ailments and exercises. Here are some of the best exercises to deal with this condition:
- Ball exercises: at any sports store or podiatrist, you can find a ball specially designed to heal a spur. With these balls, you can relax the muscles in addition to achieving a blood circulation improvement. To do the exercise you just have to place it under your foot and roll it from the heel area to the fingers, above all, focus on the areas where you suffer the most pain so that the ball makes a gentle massage that will help you relax the area.
- Stretch in the heel area: to heal a spur with home remedies it is also recommended that you stretch to relax the area to the fullest. To do this, you can stretch your legs and raise your fingers, pulling them towards you; In this way, you will notice how the plant stretches to the maximum and how you begin to feel less tension. To know them in detail, see our article which are the best exercises to treat a calcaneal spur.
In addition, we also recommend that you perform massages in the area to be treated in order to improve the condition and feel immediate relief.
It is vital that you wear appropriate footwear for your type of foot and foot shape, for example, if you are a pronator you will need a different kind of shoes than someone with flat feet or a supinator needs.
For example, in the case of pronation, a flattening of the arch of the foot beyond where it is “supposed” to go, is the most common cause of the heel spur. It should not be confused with “flat feet”. The shoes you wear cause pronation. Take off your shoes and fold them. They should not bend on the arch or heel, but only on the tip of the foot. If your shoes are folded behind the ball of your foot, change them. Make sure you get shoes with good arch support and support in general. Consult your podiatrist to guide you which is the best footwear for you.
When to go to the doctor
Although, we have discussed the possible causes of this condition in the foot and which groups of people are most prone to several risk factors, in ututilis.com we recommend that if you begin to suffer from pain in this area of the body you go to a specialist so that you do an exam and can determine what is causing you pain.
So, as soon as you feel any of the symptoms of a spur in the foot, the first thing you should do is visit a doctor or specialist to examine you, confirm the diagnosis and recommend the best treatment on how to remove a spur. Do not wait until the pain is so intense that it does not allow you to perform daily activities, but you must request a medical appointment for the first inconveniences. In addition, once the appropriate treatment has started, you should also go to the pertinent reviews and in case you see changes or worse.