Have you recently felt a very sharp pain in areas of the face such as the bridge of the nose or the front of the head? If your answer is affirmative, it is likely that you are suffering from a condition known as sinusitis. Sinusitis is a problem that is characterized by an inflammation of the sinuses of the nose and usually presents as a symptom of developing another respiratory disease such as influenza or a cold. In addition to that acute pain in those areas of the face, sinusitis is identified by other symptoms such as nasal congestion, cough, and fever, among others.
In addition to taking the medicines that your doctor will have assigned you, you can also combine these drugs with natural remedies that can alleviate these symptoms. One of the best-known treatments to treat this condition is garlic, a vegetable that has different medicinal properties indicated for respiratory diseases. That is why in the following article of Ututilis we explain how to cure sinusitis with garlic. Keep reading!
Properties of garlic for sinusitis
There are different natural remedies that help fight sinusitis, but garlic is considered one of the most effective. Garlic, also known scientifically as Allium sativum L., is a plant that belongs to the family of Liliaceae and is used in gastronomy for its strong flavor. However, its different active principles, including allicin and ajoene, make it a potent medicinal remedy against sinusitis due to its following properties:
- Antibacterial and antiseptic properties: thanks to its active principles, garlic is considered a potent natural antibiotic, so it can fight the fever and discomfort caused by sinusitis. At the same time, it fights the bacterial infections that cause this nasal affection such as, for example, the flu or a cold.
- Expectorant properties: also has expectorant properties that relieve other symptoms that appear along with this problem such as nasal congestion, cough, and pain in other areas such as the eyes or jaw.
- Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties: thanks to its richness in essential oils and principles such as allicin, this vegetable contain excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, so it can also reduce the characteristic acute pains that the person suffers both in the front of the head as in the sinuses when it suffers from this condition.
- Strengthens the immune system: finally, its content in both allicin and B vitamins, give garlic properties that favor our immune system. Thanks to these nutrients, this natural remedy increases the production of white blood cells in our body, so it helps to raise our defenses and, consequently, to prevent different infections.
How to cure sinusitis with garlic – very effective remedy
Thanks to the previous section, we already know what are the properties of garlic that will help us to treat this nasal problem. One of the most popular remedies using this vegetable to fight sinusitis is to make a garlic steam bath. To do so, you just have to follow the next step:
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 liters of water.
- 1 towel
Preparation and treatment
- The first step will be to add a liter and a half of water in a pot and heat it until it starts to boil.
- When the water reaches its boiling point, add 4 peeled cloves of garlic in the pot and let them cook for about 5-10 minutes over a low heat.
- Once the indicated time has passed, turn off the fire and lean into the water by putting a towel over your head. Be careful not to burn yourself with the pot.
- When you are in that position, begin to inhale the garlic steamer and then exhale. Repeat this exercise for 5 minutes.
Other recipes with garlic to fight sinusitis
In addition to the steam bath using this vegetable, there are also other recipes with garlic that can reduce the symptoms of sinusitis. Among them we find:
- Infusion of garlic and turmeric: this plant has powerful anti-inflammatory properties due to its richness in spicy compounds. To make the infusion, mix 1 clove of garlic with a half teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of well-boiled water and let it sit for a few minutes. Then strain the drink and drink it. You may also be interested in How to make an infusion of garlic.
- Honey and garlic syrup: this natural product stands out for its excellent antibacterial properties, ideal for sinusitis. Crush 3 cloves of garlic in a mortar and then mix with 2 tablespoons of honey. Consume the mixture on a daily basis before each meal.
- Prepared garlic and apple vinegar: this food seasoning is characterized by its antiseptic properties, which are ideal to relieve nasal congestion. Boil two cups of water and then mix in it 4 garlic cloves crushed together with a tablespoon of vinegar. Then let the ingredients rest for 30 minutes. Finally, remove the garlic and take a spoonful a day of this mixture.