Our body is formed by more than 200 bones, which are joined by the joints and separated by cartilage so that they do not rub against each other. Their functions are essential for our day to day as they are responsible for maintaining our body weight, protect the vital organs of the body and make all our movements possible. Therefore, it is important that we know how to take care of them and keep them in good health.
For the bone system to remain strengthened and healthy, it is necessary that we include in our diet some foods rich in the nutrient that is directly related to the formation and growth of our bones: calcium. In utulitis we care about your health and therefore, in the following article we explain how to increase calcium in bones naturally. Keep reading!
Foods that contain calcium for bones
It has always been said that you have to drink milk to strengthen the bones thanks to its high calcium content. However, there are other natural products rich in calcium that help strengthen bones and joints. But what calcium is better for bones, natural or supplements? Of course, it is always better to improve health naturally and leave supplements and food supplements for when there are health problems that should be reinforced treatment with them.
So, if you wonder how to increase calcium in the bones naturally, take note of these natural products with calcium that should be eaten to improve bone health:
- Dairy products
In this way, to strengthen our bones, it will be necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle and consume as much as possible the greatest variety of foods, especially those that are on this list if we have calcium deficit.
Vegetables and fruits rich in calcium
To increase calcium in bones naturally it is important that we include foods rich in this mineral, such as vegetables and fruits. Here is a list of the most calcium-rich vegetables :
- Romaine lettuce
Among vegetables, it is also important to know that green leaves provide a good dose of calcium per cup per day such as mustard greens (315mg), chicory (218mg) and turnip greens (137mg).
How to increase calcium in bones with dairy products
Milk, whatever its variant, (skimmed, semi-skimmed, powdered or condensed) and other dairy products such as yogurt are also foods that contain calcium for bones and that, therefore, we should include in our daily menu if we want increase the calcium levels of our body in a natural way.
In addition to maintaining healthy and strong bones, dairy products also provide other benefits such as maintenance of nerve tissue function and the condition of both our vision and our skin. It is also important to know that the calcium provided by milk and its derivatives is easier to absorb than other sources.
Among this group of foods, the richest are milk (1 cup provides 300 mg of the 1000mg that we have to consume per day) and natural yoghurts (452mg of 1000mg).
Fish and seafood for stronger bones
Fish and some seafood are the most calcium-rich foods, surpassing even milk and other dairy products. Although there is a large amount with a high content of this nutrient, below we give you the richest to strengthen our bones:
- Sardines : Three ounces of this fish contains approximately 325 mg of calcium.
- Salmon : besides containing a great wealth of calcium, it is also a food with a high content of healthy fatty acids such as omega 3.
- Other fish : anchovies, tuna and sole.
- Seafood rich in calcium : prawns, mussels, prawns and oysters.
Other foods rich in calcium
In addition to the foods that we have listed in the previous sections, in the following list we give you others with which to increase calcium in bones naturally:
- Cocoa with milk
- Fortified cereals or fortified with calcium
- Soy milk
- Soy milk
- Fortified fruit juices
- Calcium supplements
Foods that help absorb calcium
As much as we take calcium-rich foods it is also important to know that we need a series of nutrients to absorb them correctly. It includes the following nutrients to absorb calcium correctly:
- Vitamin D : is necessary for our body to absorb calcium effectively. You can find this vitamin in blue fish (tuna, salmon and sardines), eggs, seafood (prawns and oysters) and fish oil. We can also acquire it by taking 15 minutes of sun every day.
- Vitamin K : can be found in vegetables (cabbage, watercress and asparagus), herbs such as sage and thyme, and fruits such as blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.
- Vitamin B6 : includes in your diet meats (chicken, turkey and veal), fish (trout and cod), vegetables (peppers, turnips and peas) and other foods such as soybeans and chickpeas.
Other tips to strengthen the bones
In addition to increasing calcium naturally, it is also recommended that you follow some of the following tips to strengthen your bones:
- Take proteins : a deficiency of this nutrient can lead to a decrease in the absorption of calcium. It also reduces the risk of bone fractures during old age.
- Do not perform very low calorie diets : a diet very low in calories can reduce the density of bone structure.
- Includes foods and supplements rich in collagens : collagen is a protein that will help you strengthen your bones.
- Take foods that contain magnesium and zinc : both nutrients help to form the cells of the bone marrow and on the other prevent the bones from decomposing excessively.
This article is merely informative, in ututilis we do not have the faculty to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.