Besides being one of the most consumed and versatile foods of our Mediterranean diet, eggplant is more than healthy. This vegetable, originally from India. We invite you to know about all its health benefits and properties of eggplant.
Nutritional properties of eggplants
It is important to know that this food has to be consumed always cooked and never raw. This is due to solanine, a substance that contains and can be very toxic.
Its properties make eggplant an ideal food to fight cancer, cellular aging, infections, viruses, and harmful bacteria:
- Its water content is very high (92%).
- Minerals: potassium, calcium, sulfur, and iron.
- Vitamins of group B and C.
- It contains serotonin.
- It provides a large amount of antioxidants, such as chlorogenic acid or flavonoids.
- It has few calories (21.2 kcal per 100 grams).
- Small amounts of the alkaloid called solanine.
Health benefits of Eggplant
This vegetable hides important health benefits, among which are:
- Help to lose weightEggplant is an ideal food for weight loss diets and also treats especially the abdominal area.Why does it help to lose weight? Because it has very few calories, fights excess fat in the abdomen, is very diuretic, eliminates toxins. In addition, thanks to its satiating power it slows down the desire to eat.
- Protects cardiovascular healthThanks to its high content of fiber, potassium and vitamins B and C, eggplant helps protect the health of the heart. In addition, its flavonoids reduce the risk of developing chronic cardiovascular diseases.
- Keeps cholesterol at bayThis is due to the chlorogenic acid it contains. This acid is a powerful antioxidant that decreases the excess of lipids in the arteries.
- Fluid retentionAvoid fluid retention and inflammation.
- AntiagePrevents aging
- Reduces the risk of bone and muscle diseasesLike arthritis due to folic acid, vitamins and minerals it contains.
- Strengthens brain healthThe antioxidants it provides improve memory and brain capacity. It increases the flow of blood to the brain, so it prevents cognitive diseases.
How to prepare the eggplant?
The best way to cook it is roasted, grilled, steamed or baked. Try not to fry it, as it absorbs a lot of oil and makes your digestion difficult. Accompany it with grated cheese, sauté it with garlic or refill it with meat.
Always remember to consume it cooked, since it has a toxic alkaloid that sometimes causes intestinal disorders and intense headaches, which is destroyed by cooking. To remove its bitter taste, from a night before place some slices (uncooked) in a container containing salt water, rinse them the next day to remove excess salt and cook them.
Eggplant oil, for a long time, has been used to treat rheumatism is highly recommended: you have to remove the skin of some aubergines and fry them in oil, without it burning. Once cold, strain it and store it for use in a sealed glass jar.