If you want to take care of yourself with natural alternatives, the best way is to find out which are the best medicinal herbs to maintain a good state of health and which are indicated to combat certain conditions. For example, plantain is one of the most complete medicinal plants, as it benefits our health in many ways. Although, anyway, the best thing is always to consult with our doctor if we can or should follow some natural treatment in our case.
If you want to know about all the healing properties of the plantain to take care of your health naturally, keep reading this article of ututilis in which we explain all the interesting details.
Components and properties of plantain
The plantain, plantain major or Plantago major are some of the most common names received by this plant. It is originally found in northern Europe but is currently found in abundance throughout Europe, North America, and Central America, although we can find it on all continents. Among the components of this herb and that makes it so beneficial we find the following:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin K
If you wonder what plantain serves as a medicinal plant for our health, the answer is that it is good for several aspects, since especially its large leaves are used to treat conditions such as bronchitis, colds, hemorrhoids, urinary tract infections, and skin problems. This is because thanks to the components of this herb it offers us the following main properties :
- Pain Relieving
Below, we detail all the benefits of plantain for health and how you can take this plant as long as you also take into account the side effects and contraindications that we will tell you later.
Improves the respiratory system
Thanks to the components and properties of this herb, Plantago major is perfect for treating conditions related to the respiratory system; mainly due to the mucilages, vitamins, and flavonoids it contains. Thus, it is commonly known as one of the plants with greater antitussive power, which makes it perfect for relieving cough, but also helps us to treat other respiratory conditions such as the following:
- A convulsive cough
Take care of the stomach and intestinal transit
Plantain is commonly used to treat digestive diseases and diseases because the large amount of tannins, mucilages, and other important components is astringent, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and more properties, discussed above, which are perfect for taking care of our digestive system:
- Irritated bowel
- Digestive ulcers
In the case of constipation, the consumption of plantain seeds extract is more indicated than that of its leaves, since the amount of mucilage is greater and more effective for this type of intestinal disorder.
Protects the liver
In the leaves of this plant, we find aucubin, a glycoside, which acts as a protector of the liver. Therefore, this herb acts as a hepatoprotective in favor of this body, both when preventing related conditions and to help in the medical treatment of these whenever the specialist doctor advises.
Thus, it is estimated that it helps to regenerate this organ, to combat viruses such as hepatitis and that it serves to combat toxins that can accumulate in it. Also, due to the fibers and antioxidants that this plant has, it is considered that it helps the liver to detoxify naturally.
Anyway, these properties in this organ are still under study and, therefore, it is better to use other herbs that have been ginning that are effective to treat and strengthen this organ. Some of these recommended herbs are the milk thistle, the léon tooth, and the boldo, among others.
Treat wounds with plantain
It is common to use fresh leaves of this herb to disinfect superficial wounds and help their healing. Thanks mainly to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, hemostatic and cicatrizing properties, the greater plantain is also suitable to treat acne, dermatitis, pustules, and sores. Its use as a scar is recommended combined with aloe vera or rosehip oil to enhance the properties and achieve better results.
In addition, if fresh leaves are used directly on the skin as a scarring, it is recommended to scald them or boil them a little and pass them through cold water before using them. On the other hand, to take advantage of their hemostatic capacities, it is advisable to take the infusion and not use the direct leaves in the open wound.
Other benefits of plantain
In addition to the benefits discussed, the plantain has more benefits for our health that we should know:
- Eyes: use the cold infusion to relieve swollen, red, tired or conjunctivitis eyes thanks to its ability to reduce inflammation and fight bacteria and other microorganisms,
- Otitis: for the same abilities, this plant is suitable to fight ear infections and relieve symptoms.
- Bleeding gums: for its hemostatic, antibacterial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties it is recommended to relieve bleeding gums and gingivitis.
- Stings and burns: relieves the itching of insect bites, the hives produced by some plants such as nettles and also minor burns. In this case, you should crush a leaf and apply it to the affected area as soon as possible.
- Losing weight: being a good diuretic offers us the possibility of detoxifying our body and eliminating retained liquids, helping us to reduce volume and weight, as long as we follow a balanced diet and do a little exercise every day.
- Diabetes: the extract of this herb is hypoglycaemic, that is, it reduces blood sugar levels. It must be accompanied by an adequate diet to achieve this goal and, especially if you already take medical treatment for it, you should consult with the doctor.
- Cancer: for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immune system regulating abilities this herb is indicated to reduce the chances of suffering from cancer and to treat some specific types and stages. For the moment, in humans, this capacity is still being investigated.
How plantain is prepared
Surely it interests you to know how the plantain is used to be able to take advantage of its benefits to the maximum. There are different ways to use and depending on what we want it is better to take it or use it in one way or another. Thus, the most common is to drink a tea or infusion of this medicinal herb to obtain the maximum of its components.
If you want to take advantage of the properties of plantain infusion is very simple, you just have to boil water and when you reach the boiling point add 1 teaspoon of dried leaves, about 24 grams for each cup of tea you are going to take and allow Let it boil for 5 or 10 minutes before letting it cool and take it. It is advisable to take 3 cups a day for 1 or 2 weeks and reduce the amount according to the doctor’s guidelines.
If you take the tincture of this plant usually take about 22ml 3 times a day, instead, the extract of its seeds is taken in doses of 25ml 3 times a day. Although it is best to follow the instructions on the packaging or consult a professional.
Side effects and contraindications of plantain
As with all natural products, Plantago major can produce some adverse effects according to our state of health and our sensitivity to some of its components. Thus, although generally, this medicinal plant not taken orally does not pose any risk, among the side effects of this plant the most common are the following:
- Sensitization or intolerance
- Allergic contact dermatitis
Also, we must know the main contraindications of Plantain before deciding to take it or use it to make sure there are no risks:
- It is contraindicated in pregnancy and during lactation.
- People who have an allergy to any component of this plant.
- If you suffer from constipation.
- Patients taking anticoagulant medications.